At least 29 people have been killed so far after typhoon Usagi, packed with high-power winds, struck in south China’s Guangdong Province.

More than 5.30 lakh residents in the province had been relocated after the typhoon landed at the coastal area of Shanwei City, local officials said.

The typhoon, which hit the country on September 22, has disrupted lives of 9.23 million people, damaged 1,52,000 hectares of crops of and demolished 15,000 houses.

Direct economic losses have reached USD 2.9 billion, state-run news agency Xinhua reported.

The typhoon also cut off water and electricity supplies in areas of Shantou and Shanwei cities, it said.

Eight people were killed and eight others injured at the construction site at the Shanwei section of the Xiamen-Shenzhen railway line as wind toppled the house they were sheltering in.

More In: World | International | News