Two men have been charged in connection with a shooting last week at a Chicago park that injured 13 people, including a 3-year-old boy, Chicago officials announced on Monday night.
Authorities say Byron Champ (21) and Kewane Gatewood (20) were charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm in the shooting on Thursday at Cornell Square Park on Chicago’s southwest side.
Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said that while the two played significant roles in the shooting, neither is believed to have pulled the trigger.
“Chicago Police detectives continue to work tirelessly to solve this case and hold the criminals who committed this senseless act of violence last Thursday night responsible for their actions,” Mr. McCarthy said in a statement. “These charges are just the beginning, and this investigation remains ongoing at this time.”
Champ has previous weapons charges. He was convicted in July 2012 on charges of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and sentenced to Cook County Jail’s boot camp. Champ is a documented gang member, according to authorities.
“To truly address violence for the long-term we need state and federal laws that keep illegal guns out of our communities and provide real punishment for the criminals who use them,” Mr. McCarthy said. He added that a three-year mandatory minimum sentence for illegal gun possession and truth in sentencing for gun crimes in Illinois is needed.
Authorities say as many as three people opened fire on Thursday on a basketball court in the Back of the Yards neighbourhood. Among those wounded was 3-year-old Deonta Howard, who is recovering from surgery after being shot near an ear, along with two teenagers.
The shooting returned Chicago’s gun violence problem to the nation’s consciousness.
The assailants fired more than a dozen rounds from an assault-style rifle, police said. They believe the shooting was gang-related, as several gang members were injured, although it’s not yet clear who the intended target was.