They also reiterated their support for a Taliban office in Doha for the purpose of negotiations
The United States and Afghanistan said late on Tuesday that they were still in favour of dialogue with the Taliban just hours after insurgents attacked the Presidential compound in Kabul.
US President Barack Obama and his Afghan counterpart Hamid Karzai, in a video conference, “reaffirmed that an Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace and reconciliation process is the surest way to end violence and ensure lasting stability in Afghanistan and the region,” the White House said in a statement.
They also “reiterated their support for an office in Doha for the purpose of negotiations between the High Peace Council and authorised representatives of the Taliban,” it said.
Kabul last week objected to the current office opened by the Taliban in Doha, styled as the representative office of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.
Mr. Karzai said he would boycott the talks if the name and flag of the office, which echo those of the country under the Taliban administration from 1996 to 2001, were not changed.
Insurgents attacked the Presidential Palace on Tuesday after passing for the first time, the outer security perimeter. The attack, claimed by the Taliban, killed three members of the special forces protecting the compound, and left four of the assailants dead.