At least 40 people were killed and more than 100 wounded on Thursday in gun and bomb attacks on the Yemeni Defence Ministry complex in the capital Sana’a, medical officials told DPA.
The attack started when a car bomb exploded at a military hospital in the ministry complex in the Bab al-Yemen area of the city, the official Saba news agency reported quoting military sources.
The bombing was followed by shootings in the complex, and “most” of the gunmen were killed, Saba reported, adding that the situation was under control.
It was not clear from initial reports whether most of the casualties were from the bombing or the shootings.
President orders investigation
Yemeni President Abd Rabu Mansour Hadi has ordered an investigation into the attack after he visited the complex on Thursday, state television reported.
The broadcaster showed pictures of a motorcade moving around the ministry complex and Hadi speaking to officers in what appeared to be an operations room.
Mr. Hadi instructed senior officers to carry out an urgent investigation into the attack and report to him within 24 hours, the report said.
Local news site Barakish reported that the Health Ministry had issued an appeal for blood donations.
Yemeni military bases, as well as oil and gas pipelines and other facilities, have repeatedly come under attack throughout the last year.
Officials often attribute the attacks to al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP). The Yemen-based group is seen as one of the most active and dangerous branches of the international terrorist network.