A fire in a wedding tent full of women and children on the outskirts of Kuwait City has killed 41 and injured scores on Saturday.

This was the worst such disaster that Kuwait has witnessed in 40 years, said officials.

The tent, with nearly 180 people, was destroyed in three minutes, they said. DNA tests were being conducted to identify the victims — 35 women and six children many of whom had been charred beyond recognition, said Brigadier General Jassem Al-Mansouri, fire department chief.

He said faulty electric wiring, equipment to keep food warm or the material used for burning incense could have caused the blaze.

The death toll could rise as many of the injured were in a serious condition.

Keywords: Kuwaitfire accident

More In: International | News