SEARCH

News » International

Updated: March 11, 2010 16:33 IST

U.S. court rejects Rana bail plea, says he may flee

PTI
print   ·   T  T  
In this December 2, 2009 courtroom sketch Tahawwur Hussain Rana, right, charged with plotting terrorist attacks, listens as a Government attorney argues before a federal Magistrate in Chicago.
AP In this December 2, 2009 courtroom sketch Tahawwur Hussain Rana, right, charged with plotting terrorist attacks, listens as a Government attorney argues before a federal Magistrate in Chicago.

A U.S. court on on Tuesday again turned down the bail plea of terror suspect Tahawwur Rana, accused of plotting the Mumbai terror attacks at the behest of the LeT, saying the Pakistani-Canadian is charged with “very serious crimes” which give him a motive to flee.

“Defendant Rana’s motion to revoke Magistrate Judge Nan Nolan’s detention order is denied,” read an order by Judge Harry Leinenweber of U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois.

Rana has made several pleas to be released on bond since his arrest last year contending that he was “duped” by American-Pakistani LeT operative David Coleman Headley.

Headley, 49, and Rana, 48, were arrested by FBI in October 2009 and are accused of plotting terror attacks at the behest of Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba in India and against a Danish newspaper.

“The evidence in the form of recorded conversations, while not conclusive, appears to corroborate the Government’s contention that he was a knowing ally of Headley and had been acquainted in advance of the Mumbai attacks,” the court said.

In addition, the more serious charges if proved would undoubtedly lead to a higher sentence, the court said, adding that Rana has not “rebutted the presumptions“.

Rana has been indicted of “very serious crimes which is sufficient itself to trigger probable cause of his guilt, which establishes the reputable presumption of a danger to the community”.

More In: International | News

National

Business

Cricket

Sport


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in International

U.S. to set up 3,000-strong Ebola force

: U.S. President Barack Obama announced a “major increase” in his country’s contribution to the fight against Ebola, a deadly virus that... »