Britain’s Trinity Mirror newspaper group on Tuesday announced a review into editorial practices following the explosion of the tabloid phone hacking scandal at its News International rival.
Trinity Mirror spokesman Nick Fullagar said on Tuesday that the inquiry was not an investigation into claims of phone hacking, but acknowledged that the scandal over the News of the World’s espionage campaign helped prompt the review.
“In light of recent events, we thought it was timely to look at our controls and procedures,” Mr. Fullagar said in a telephone interview. “Clearly, after any significant event, it’s just good corporate governance.”
The Daily Mirror tabloid has come under a cloud of suspicion following revelations that rival newspaper the News of the World — recently shut down by Murdoch’s News International — routinely intercepted voicemails left for public figures. One former Mirror journalist has alleged that phone hacking was rife at the left-leaning title when former editor Piers Morgan was in charge.
Last week The New York Times has cited five unnamed journalists at another Mirror title, a sports-and-celebrity-focused newspaper called The People, as saying hacking was commonplace there as well from the late 1990s to early 2000.
The paper has not commented on the claims.