One person died and 27 were missing after tropical storm Conson hit northern and central Vietnam, officials said Monday.

Truong Ngoc Nhi, deputy chairman of Quang Ngai People’s Committee in central Vietnam said the number of fishermen missing in the Paracel archipelago in the South China Sea had increased to 27 from 6 on Sunday. The National Steering Committee for Storm and Flood Control said authorities had found five people reported missing Saturday in the northern province of Quang Ninh. They had been swept to Cong Do island in the area of Ha Long Bay.

One woman drowned Saturday when she was swimming in the northern province of Tranh Hoa. The navy sent ships to search for the missing in the Paracels and rescued 58 fishermen.

More than 600 houses were destroyed by the storm and 43 vessels were sunk or damaged, the committee said.

The typhoon, which made landfall on Saturday, brought winds of 117 kilometres per hour and dumped up to 200 millimetres of rain by late Sunday.

The typhoon killed 68 people in the Philippines, leave 84 people missing. It also killed two in China.

More In: International | News