SEARCH

News » International

Updated: November 23, 2009 17:47 IST

Separated Bangladeshi twins leave intensive care

    AP
    SYDNEY
print   ·   T  T  
In this August 2009 image, two-year-old Bangladeshi orphan, Krishna, is seen at the Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne in Australia. Krishna and her twin sister Trishna had been joined at the top of their heads and shared brain tissue and blood vessels. They were separated on November 17 after 25 hours of delicate surgery.
AP In this August 2009 image, two-year-old Bangladeshi orphan, Krishna, is seen at the Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne in Australia. Krishna and her twin sister Trishna had been joined at the top of their heads and shared brain tissue and blood vessels. They were separated on November 17 after 25 hours of delicate surgery.

Recently separated conjoined Bangladeshi twins left intensive care on Monday and were adjusting well after their marathon operation, hospital officials said.

Trishna and Krishna, who turn three next month, had been joined at the top of their heads and shared brain tissue and blood vessels. They were separated on November 17 after 25 hours of delicate surgery in Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital and then underwent an additional six hours of reconstructive work.

On Monday, the hospital released a statement saying the girls had left the paediatric intensive care unit and were sharing a room together. They were in stable condition.

“The girls are getting to know the new staff who will be caring for them now that they have left intensive care,” the statement said.

Krishna is expected to have a longer period of adjustment as the separation brought more changes to her body and brain’s blood circulation.

An aid worker first saw Trishna and Krishna in a Dhaka orphanage when they were a month old, and contacted the Children First Foundation, which brought the girls to Australia for the operation.


National

Business

Cricket

Sport


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in International

U.S. released majority of Punjabi asylum-seekers

The men, who were initially thought to exceed 100 in number, had improper or no documentation while entering the country at the Mexico-Texas border during November 2013-May 2014 »