A second soldier in the United States army has been indicted for planning an attack on a military facility in Fort Hood, Texas, the site of Major Nidal Malik Hasan's deadly shooting spree in 2009 that led to 13 people being killed and 32 injured.
This week a grand jury indicted Army Private Naser Jason Abdo (21), who is accused of plotting to kill more Fort Hood personnel with a “homemade bomb.”
According to the indictment statements, Abdo was said to have possessed “a destructive device, an automatic pistol and 20-gauge shotgun shells while being a fugitive from justice”.
Media reports said Abdo, who joined the Army in March 2009, was granted “conscientious objector” status after he declined to deploy to Afghanistan. In an unrelated development he was charged, in May, with possession of child pornography.
Following this, he disappeared until he was arrested on July 27 in a motel room in Killeen, Texas, reports said, where, besides the weapons in his possession authorities were said to have found an article entitled “Make a bomb in the kitchen of your Mom.”
When he was produced in court last month Abdo “shouted the names of [Nidal] Hasan... and Abeer Qassim al-Janabi, a 14-year-old girl who was raped and murdered by U.S. soldiers in Iraq in 2006,” reports added.
Abdo could spend up to 10 years in prison and a face a $250,000 fine per count if convicted, according to legal experts.
The case continues.
Keywords: Fort Hood military facility attack