The South Korean government for the first time pointed its finger at Pyongyang on Wednesday for the sinking of one of its warships, saying North Korean involvement in the incident was “obvious”.
An examination of the salvaged wreck showed it was sunk in March by “a strong underwater explosion generated by the detonation of a torpedo,” Foreign Minister Yu Myung Hwan said at a meeting with European business representatives.
Asked by the press whether he thought North Korea was responsible, he replied: “It’s obvious.”
Seoul previously said it intends to bring the case to the UN Security Council if evidence of North Korean involvement was found.
South Korea was due to make the results of the investigation into the sinking public on Thursday.
The 1,200—tonne Cheonan went down March 26 near the disputed Yellow Sea border with North Korea after witnesses heard an explosion and the ship broke apart. Forty—six crew members lost their lives.
Mr. Yu said the government would take “appropriate measures in a firm and prudent manner”.
North Korea has denied any involvement.