SEARCH

News » International

Updated: November 9, 2010 15:25 IST

Nigerian militant claims oil rig attack, as official puts hostages at seven

Xinhua
print   ·   T  T  

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta has said it was responsible for the attack on an oil rig in Nigeria on Sunday and had taken seven workers hostage.

Smoke and debris fill the sky seconds after a car bomb explodes alongside firemen responding to an initial car bomb that had exploded five minutes earlier, in Abuja, Nigeria, on October 1, 2010. Two car bombs blew up as Nigeria, killing at least seven people in an unprecedented attack on the capital by suspected militants from the country's oil region. The attacks claimed by the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta came as the president and other dignitaries sat only a 10-minute walk away. File photo: AP.
Smoke and debris fill the sky seconds after a car bomb explodes alongside firemen responding to an initial car bomb that had exploded five minutes earlier, in Abuja, Nigeria, on October 1, 2010. Two car bombs blew up as Nigeria, killing at least seven people in an unprecedented attack on the capital by suspected militants from the country's oil region. The attacks claimed by the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta came as the president and other dignitaries sat only a 10-minute walk away. File photo: AP.

Nigerian main militant group, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), on Tuesday said it was responsible for the attack on the Shallow— water Okoro oilfield in the late hours of Sunday as an official confirmed that seven hostages had been taken. The group spokesperson Jomo Gbomo disclosed this in a statement reaching here.

London—Based oil exploration firm Afren said on Monday that Nigerian gunmen had attacked its offshore oil rig and abducted five crew members.

The company also said two others were injured in the attack which occurred on Sunday.

“The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) hereby confirms that the attack on the Shallow—water Okoro oilfield in the late hours of Sunday, the Nov. 7 2010 was carried out by our fighters,” the group said.

“All the abducted expatriates are well and in our safe custody, ” it added.

“All the fighters who participated in this attack have safely returned to base,” MEND said.

“Within the next 24 hours, we will release the names of all expatriates currently being held in our different camps,” it added.

A separate report quoted a company official saying that seven foreign hostages were taken, modifying the previous number of five. It also said two Indonesian victims had been confirmed.

The group has been known for carrying out attacks on international oil companies in the Niger Delta, engaging in actions including sabotage, theft, property destruction, guerrilla warfare and kidnapping.

In a statement sent to reporters on Monday, the group warned that it’s fighters will launch a series of attacks on oil installations across the Niger delta in the coming days.

More In: International | News

National

Business

Cricket

Sport


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in International

Damage worse than thought in Japanese earthquake

The damage from an overnight earthquake in a mountainous area of central Japan that hosted the 1998 winter Olympics proved more extensiv... »