SEARCH

News » International

Updated: December 4, 2009 01:28 IST

Lakhvi challenges indictment in Lahore High Court

PTI
print   ·   T  T  
Alleged plotter of Mumbai attacks Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi in Muzaffarabad, capital of Pakistani Kashmir. File Photo: AP
AP Alleged plotter of Mumbai attacks Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi in Muzaffarabad, capital of Pakistani Kashmir. File Photo: AP

The LeT operations commander was indicted along with six other suspects for planning and helping execute the attacks that killed 166 people in India’s financial hub last year

LeT operations chief Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, the mastermind of the Mumbai attacks, has challenged his indictment by a Pakistani anti-terrorism court in Lahore High Court and claimed the prosecution does not have enough evidence to prove his involvement in the 26/11 strikes.

Lakhvi’s counsel filed two petitions in the Rawalpindi bench of the Lahore High Court yesterday challenging his indictment by the anti-terrorism court last month.

The LeT operations commander was indicted along with six other suspects for planning and helping execute the attacks that killed 166 people in India’s financial hub last year.

A two-judge bench is expected to take up Lakhvi’s petitions.

In one petition, Lakhvi claimed there were no evidence and witnesses against him except Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone attacker captured alive in Mumbai, and five policemen involved in a case registered in Pakistan.

The policemen cited as witnesses by the prosecution had only described Lakhvi as a commander of the LeT and accused him of training people for terrorist activities, he claimed.

Lakhvi pointed out that witnesses had not said anything about his involvement in the Mumbai attacks.

Lakhvi also claimed that Kasab’s statement to Indian authorities is not admissible in a case registered in Islamabad.

According to law, a statement given in one particular case cannot be used in another case, he claimed.

In his second petition, Lakhvi challenged the anti-terrorism court’s decision to try Kasab separately under provisions of the Criminal Procedure Code.

He said these provisions can be applied only when a co-accused cannot appear in court due to illness or other reasons.

Lakhvi claimed the prosecution has not stated any reason for Kasab’s absence from the Pakistani anti-terrorism court.

Lakhvi was formally indicted along with Zarar Shah, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Abu al Qama, Shahid Jamil Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younas Anjum.

The next hearing of the case against them in the anti-terrorism court is scheduled for December 5.

Twenty other suspects who are at large were also accused of planning and helping carry out the attacks a year ago.

More In: International | News

National

Business

Cricket

Sport


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in International

 Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. File photo.

Facebook founder to visit India this month

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg will be visiting India this month, and is most likely to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who himself... »