An Indonesian man has lost six teeth and received 51 stitches to his mouth after a cigarette he was smoking reportedly exploded, a media report said on Tuesday.
Andi Susanto, a resident of Bekasi near Jakarta, was riding a motorcycle when the cigarette ‘exploded’ in his mouth on Thursday, The Jakarta Post newspaper reported.
Susanto, who admitted he had been a smoker since he was in elementary school, told the Post he was traumatised by the incident and would try to quit smoking.
“It had been always fine,” the 31-year-old was quoted as saying by the Post. “The incident was all so unexpected.”
Susanto’s family is seeking compensation from the company that produced the cigarette, Nojorono Tobacco Indonesia.
The cigarette maker said its products did not contain any explosive material.
Police have not yet established the cause of the explosion.