The Foreign Ministry statement on Monday said China is concerned about the rising civilian death toll in the conflict and hopes the parties can negotiate a political settlement.

China has renewed its call for an immediate cease—fire in Libya after NATO bombed a Muammar Qadhafi family compound in an attack government officials said killed some of the leader’s relatives.

The Foreign Ministry statement on Monday said China is concerned about the rising civilian death toll in the conflict and hopes the parties can negotiate a political settlement.

The statement says China doesn’t support actions beyond what the U.N. Security Council authorised. But it stopped short of saying NATO’s airstrike on Saturday exceeded that.

Libya says Col. Qadhafi’s second youngest son and three grandchildren were killed.

Russia, which like China abstained on the Security Council vote, previously accused NATO of a “disproportionate use of force.”

More In: International | News