SEARCH

News » International

Updated: January 21, 2011 18:15 IST

Cameron 's top aide resigns in tabloid scandal

AP
print   ·   T  T  
In this December 12, 2010 file photo, Andy Coulson, the ruling Conservative Party's Director of Communications is seen in Glasgow, Scotland. Coulson quit as Downing Street communications chief on Friday, saying the continuing row over phone-hacking when he was editor of the News of the World newspaper was distracting from his job. AP.
In this December 12, 2010 file photo, Andy Coulson, the ruling Conservative Party's Director of Communications is seen in Glasgow, Scotland. Coulson quit as Downing Street communications chief on Friday, saying the continuing row over phone-hacking when he was editor of the News of the World newspaper was distracting from his job. AP.

Mr. Coulson is a trusted aide to the British Prime Minister and his departure is a blow to Mr. Cameron, whose office had long insisted he would stay on despite the scandal.

The prime minister’s communications chief is resigning after intense pressure over claims that he encouraged reporters to spy on the conversations of politicians, celebrities, and even royalty, while he worked as the editor of a powerful tabloid newspaper.

Prime Minister David Cameron said on Friday that Andy Coulson had felt compelled to resign, but did not mention the scandal, which centres on allegations of systematic wrongdoing at Rupert Murdoch’s News of The World tabloid while he was in charge.

“I am very sorry that Andy Coulson has decided to resign as my director of communications,” Mr. Cameron said in a statement. “Andy has told me that the focus on him was impeding his ability to do his job and was starting to prove a distraction for the government.”

Mr. Coulson is a trusted aide and his departure is a blow to Mr. Cameron, whose office had long insisted he would stay on despite the scandal.

Earlier this week, Mr. Cameron told BBC radio that Mr. Coulson deserved a second chance even though “bad things” happened when he was editor of the News of the World.

A reporter and a private investigator employed by the paper were caught illegally eavesdropping on the phones of the British royal family’s entourage.

The pair were convicted in 2007, but News of The World executives have long insisted that the two were the only ones responsible for the tapping operation - a claim whose credibility has increasingly been called into question.

The News of The World declined to comment on the resignation.

More In: International | News

National

Business

Cricket

Sport


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in International

Four killed as plane crashes at Kansas airport

A small plane lost power after takeoff and crashed into a flight-training building while trying to return to a Kansas airport Thursday,... »