Abu Sayyaf gunmen have freed two Filipino members of a Jordanian TV journalist’s crew who were kidnapped by the al-Qaeda-linked militants last year as they set out to interview the extremists in their jungle lairs in the southern Philippines, police said on Sunday.

Policemen found frail-looking cameraman Ramel Vela and audio technician Roland Letriro late on Saturday and brought them to a hospital in southern Sulu province, where they were kidnapped in June along with Jordanian Baker Abdulla Atyani, provincial police chief Senior Superintendent Antonio Freyra said. Mr. Atyani is believed to still be held by the gunmen.

“They really lost weight because they were constantly under stress each day,” Mr. Freyra told The Associated Press.

A still-unspecified amount was paid to secure the freedom of the two captives, according to three security officials who have been closely monitoring the kidnappings. The three spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to reporters.

Military officials have said Abu Sayyaf militants have demanded 130 million pesos ($3.1 million) for the release of Mr. Atyani and his two crew members.

Moro commander Khabir Malik said his group had taken the initiative to seek the freedom of the hostages to help the government clean up the image of Sulu, a predominantly Muslim province where the Abu Sayyaf has carried out deadly bombings, kidnappings for ransom and beheadings, primarily in the early 2000s.

U.S.-backed military offensives have crippled the Abu Sayyaf in recent years, but it remains a national security threat. Washington has listed the group as a terrorist organization.

Mr. Malik said last week that he met with an Abu Sayyaf commander, Jul-Asman Sawadjaan, to seek the release of Mr. Atyani and his two crew members, who were believed being held in the jungles of Sulu’s mountainous Patikul town. But the extremists did not show any sign that they would free their captives soon, Mr. Malik said.

Mr. Malik had suggested that his armed group could consider other options including a rescue to secure the captives’ freedom from the smaller Abu Sayyaf group.

Abu Sayyaf gunmen handed the two Filipinos to still-unknown negotiators, but not to Mr. Malik’s group, angering the Moro rebels, according to the three security officials.

Sulu Governor Abdusakur Tan has said he will not allow Mr. Malik’s group to take any drastic action like a rescue that could harm the Abu Sayyaf’s hostages.

Mr. Atyani was working for the Arabic satellite channel Middle East Broadcasting Corp. when he interviewed Osama bin Laden and his aides in Afghanistan about three months before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. He said they told him that the coming weeks would hold “important surprises that will target American and Israeli interests in the world.”

The other hostages being held by the Abu Sayyaf include the two European men, who were seized from nearby Tawi Tawi province in February last year and believed to have been taken to Sulu, a Japanese treasure hunter, a Malaysian national and a Filipino resident of Sulu, officials say.

The Abu Sayyaf, which is estimated to have about 380 armed fighters in Sulu and nearby island provinces, is an extremist offshoot of a Muslim rebellion that has been raging in the predominantly Catholic nation’s south for decades. The violence has been fuelled by abject poverty, corruption, proliferation of illegal weapons and weak law enforcement.

More In: International | News