Sri Lanka on Saturday said it was confident that all necessary steps would be taken by the Indian government to strengthen security at its High Commission in New Delhi and that action would be taken against the group of unidentified persons who had barged into the premises of the mission on Friday.

In a statement issued here, Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama said External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna spoke to him over telephone on Friday night to assure him that immediate steps had been taken to prevent recurrence of such incidents.

“He [Mr. Krishna] further stated that the incident is contrary to the cooperative relationship that exists between the two countries and certainly does not reflect the close and warm bi-lateral friendship that exists between India and Sri Lanka,” the statement said.

Separately, Sri Lankan Minster of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Felix Perera told the local media that Sri Lanka and India must both refrain from attacking each other’s fishermen and seek a policy with common humanitarian objectives with regards to the continuous issue of fisherman crossing each others territorial waters.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had earlier this week said he had cautioned Sri Lanka against its Navy attacking Indian fishermen for crossing the maritime border.