The Mumbai Police on Sunday recorded the statements of at least two eyewitnesses in the Preity Zinta molestation case. “We have started collecting collaborative evidence,” Deputy Commissioner of Police Ravindra Shiswe told reporters here.

Meanwhile, the police have found out that the CCTV footage of the incident in question is not available. Sources said the absence of footage could be a setback for the investigation.

Ms. Zinta had filed a complaint against industrialist and her former boyfriend Ness Wadia for allegedly intimidating and molesting her. She claimed that Mr. Wadia had threatened her, making her fear for her life. He has rubbished the allegations.

According to officials, the altercation between Ms. Zinta and Mr. Wadia — co-owners of the Indian Premier League team Kings XI Punjab — broke out inside a corporate box at the Wankhede stadium. There are no CCTV cameras installed in the corporate box. The stadium authorities have already submitted the CCTV footage of the stands to the police.

“Ness Wadia is seen walking inside at around 8.10 p.m. along with his two relatives. The police will now have to ascertain what exactly happened between 8.10 p.m. and 9.10 p.m.,” an official source told The Hindu. Ms. Zinta and Mr. Wadia are seen standing in the stands for some time. Sources said the altercation occurred after they walked into the corporate box.

Statements the only go

Police sources said they will have to rely on the statements of those present on the location at that time. Ms. Zinta, sources said, had submitted the names of two such witnesses to the police.

Meanwhile, the Mumbai Police have not yet summoned Mr. Wadia. “We will gather all the evidence, and then decide the further course of action,” a senior police official privy to the investigation told The Hindu.

But according to unconfirmed reports, Ms. Zinta’s statement may be taken again. The officials of Mumbai Police remained tight-lipped about the investigation in the case.

More In: Mumbai | National | News