The Bombay High Court on Friday transferred the murder investigation of anti-superstition activist Narendra Dabholkar to the Central Bureau of Investigation. The decision came following a Public Interest Litigation asking for the transfer.
After the murder of Dabholkar in Pune by unknown assailants on August 20 last year, the Pune police had been investigating the matter. However, with no results emerging in the high-profile case, journalist Ketan Tirodkar filed the PIL in the court.
“The PIL is allowed and the case is being transferred to CBI,” said Justice P.V. Hardas as he delivered the order. So far, the main conspirators have not been arrested. Those who were arrested were let out on bail.
The Pune police had submitted its diaries and investigation reports to the court relating to the investigation. On Thursday, the court asked the CBI about its stand. However, the court restrained from passing an order because the CBI lawyer argued that there was no need to transfer the matter as there were no allegations related to the investigation levelled against the Pune police or the state.
But Mr. Tirodkar pleaded that even if no allegations were made against authorities, the probe in a criminal case could be transferred to CBI if it has national or international ramifications.
Mukta, Dabholkar’s daughter, said that the family was surprised at the one-line order. “We didn’t want the investigation to go the CBI. We were just insisting on a high court-guided inquiry. The CBI didn’t want it neither the state government. Unless we read what the verdict says, we can’t say what the further course of action will be,” she told The Hindu.