Though no definite dates on the conduct of the 35 National Games are forthcoming, a document released by the National Games Secretariat claims that works have progressed steadily in the three games venues here.
The document, e-mailed to The Hindu by Jacob Punnoose, Chief Executive Officer and Secretary of National Games Secretariat, shows that works, which were “zero per cent” over on November 30, 2012, have reached 25 to 70 per cent completion by December 30, 2013.
Renovation of the indoor stadium, the venue for sepak takraw and volleyball, is now over. It was 60 per cent done on November 30, 2012.
The works on Kozhikode Medical College ground, scheduled to host football matches, are in various stages of completion. On November 30, 2012, no tender had been called and zero per cent work was done on the ground’s surface there. Now, the document says, 25 per cent of the works are done.
Civil works on the gallery, which were 60 per cent over in November 30, are over as on December 30, 2013.
Works on the ground, which had neither started nor tender called, are 60 per cent over.
At the Kozhikode Corporation Stadium, 70 per cent of the works on the gallery is over compared to zero per cent on November 30, 2012. The stadium’s work had hit headlines when a portion of the roof collapsed, injuring two workers on November 29 last year.
The Kozhikode Corporation, which owns the stadium, said it was not responsible for the quality of work, and the liability for the accident rested with the National Games Authority and their contractors.
This was the second time in a month that the roof of the pavilion had collapsed.