Youth lynched by a mob later

The Thamarassery Judicial First Class Magistrate Court here has sentenced 13 persons to six months imprisonment and a fine of Rs.1,750 in a case of attacking the house of Shaheed Bava, who was later lynched by a mob on November 9, 2011.

The case pertained to an incident in which the accused banded together and trespassed into the house of Shaheed Bava on the night of October 22, 2011. The gang threatened to kill his father and other relatives who were present at the house. Later the 27-year-old youth was lynched by a mob. He was assaulted by 15 persons with iron rods and wooden planks after his hands and legs were tied to an electric post at 11.30 p.m. for allegedly having an affair with a married woman at Kodiyathur. He died of grave injuries at a private hospital in the city on November 13, 2011.

The Magistrate, Shibu Daniel, found the accused guilty under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). Those convicted were Ellungal Hijas Rahman, 23; Kayyil Kottath Mursheed, 29; Palakkattuparambil Janeesh alias Asharikuttan, 32; Tharammal Kota Noushad alias Unda Noushad, 27; Maliyekkal Fayas, 26; Kayyil Jamsheer, 23; Kalathingal Najid, 21; Rashid, 23; Jamsheer, 32; Noor Mahal Suhail, 24; Kannatil Muhammed Salim, 22; Kolayil Shahul Hameed, 24; and Kolayil Jaffar alias Bichu, 25, all residents of Kodiyathur.

The court awarded two months imprisonment and a fine of Rs.500 under Section 143 (unlawful assembly); six months and a fine of Rs.500 under Section 147 (rioting ); one month and a fine of Rs.250 under Section 447 (criminal trespass); and six months imprisonment and a fine of Rs.500 under Section 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC to the accused. The imprisonment term will run concurrently.

The court examined 11 witnesses, including the father of Shaheed Bava and other relatives. The Mukkom police registered and investigated the case when the special police team led by the then Assistant Commissioner of Police (Kozhikode city) Jossy Cherian that probed the murder obtained evidence that the victim had been facing threats a month before he was killed. The trial in the murder case has begun at the Special Additional District and Sessions Court (Marad cases) at Eranhipalam here. Several persons including the woman with whom Shaheed allegedly had an affair and her daughter were examined.

Mr. Cherian, who is now Deputy Superintendent of Police, Crime Branch, had filed the chargesheet against 14 accused within 90 day of their arrest. All the arrested persons are now out on bail. One of the accused, who was absconding, later fled to Saudi Arabia.