Alleged trafficking of a 15-year-old Mumbai girl to Kozhikode

A five-member city police team will leave for Mumbai on May 11 to probe in detail a case in which a 15-year-old Mumbai girl was trafficked to Kozhikode by flesh traders. The team will be led by a sub-inspector from the Kasaba police station.

As per the statement of the victim, she was sold to the flesh traders by her relatives settled somewhere near Panvel in Mumbai. Though the police were yet to trace the actual location of the accused, sources confirmed that it would be possible with the support of the local police in Mumbai.

Meanwhile, the Kasaba police also moved the court seeking the custody of the two main accused in the case. Saji Shameer, 43, hailing from Kadavanthra and Jaffer Ali, 30, of Vailathore, were the two who were arrested in connection with the case.

Circle Inspector Babu Peringoth said that a woman, reportedly a relative of the girl, was involved in the trade.

The sexual assault came to light on April 3. She was seeking shelter at the Town police station after escaping from a lodge where she was sexually exploited by the first accused. As per the preliminary investigation, the two accused were buying the girl for a period of 15 days from an unknown agent in Bangalore.

The Town police have approached the Judicial First Class Magistrate Court-I seeking the custody of two persons who recently surrendered before the court and later remanded in judicial custody in connection with the murder of P. Bhakthavalsalan, an artist, hailing from the city.

According to police sources, the custody of the duo was sought for getting details about the other six persons reportedly involved in the incident. The request would be considered on Thursday.

Jagadeesh and Roopesh, the two main accused in the case, surrendered before the court on Monday. As per the first information report, Jagadeesh, owner of a lodge in the city, and Roopesh, his relative, murdered Bhakthavalsalan in an attempt to evacuate him from their lodge room. As per the dying statement, the men had tied petrol bottles around him and sent electric sparks to burn him alive. The middle-aged man succumbed to injuries at the Government Medical College Hospital, Kozhikode, on April 29.

Contribution by Mithosh Joseph

More In: Kozhikode