The State government has no plan to suspend the concessions granted by the Kerala State Transport Corporation (KSRTC) to eligible beneficiaries, said Minister for Transport Aryadan Mohammed.
He was speaking after laying the foundation stone for a new KSRTC sub-depot in Vadakara on Sunday.
Mr. Mohammed said that the KSRTC would never go ahead with a proposal to suspend concessions, and the beneficiaries would be able to enjoy the concessions without any interruption.
The Minister reiterated that the protection of people’s right to travel was the responsibility of the government and it would be ensured at any cost. “Whatever be the loss, the government will have to do it,” he said while referring to the indefinite strike call of private bus operators in the State.
According to Mr. Mohammed, strike would never be a possible solution to increase the travel fare. The revision of bus charge could be considered only after getting the report of the commission appointed for the purpose, he affirmed.
Referring to the pending distribution of pension arrears to some of the retired KSRTC employees, Mr. Mohammed said it could be settled very shortly. The State government had already granted Rs.75 crore for KSRTC for various welfare programmes and a portion of this fund would be utilised to clear the arrears.
The sub depot project, expected to streamline the KSRTC services in the rural areas, would be completed within a year. An MLA fund of Rs.50 lakh would be utilised to complete the first phase.