Problem attributed to a fault at magnetic door's sensors
A 22-year-old youth was trapped inside an automated teller machine (ATM) in Pammal for an hour on Monday morning. Firemen forced their way open into the kiosk to rescue the youth, who is an engineering student.
Firemen said P. Thillai Vaanan of Anna Nagar in Pammal visited the ATM of Indian Bank on Pammal Main Road at 8.20 a.m. The moment he stepped inside, the automatic door closed. After completing the transaction, he tried to open the door, but did not succeed as it was stuck firmly.
On finding him struggling inside the ATM, people outside called the Fire Control Room. About 15 minutes later, a Fire Tender from Tambaram came and the personnel forced open the door and the youth came out. He was inside for an hour.
Firemen said the problem was due to a fault at the magnetic door's sensors. They cut the wire connected to the sensor and using a pick axe, they managed to create a wedge between the magnets attached to the door and the frame. It may be recalled that two engineers of Tamil Nadu Electricity Board and two students were trapped inside an ATM, also of Indian Bank, at the Tambaram railway station within a space of two hours on July 26 last year.