A woman suffered severe burns after fire-crackers kept in her house caught fire and exploded. Hours later, she succumbed to burns at a hospital.

Sources with the Secretariat Colony police said the accident occurred at 6 a.m. on Sunday inside the hut of Chellan (35), a labourer, in SS Puram, B Block in Purasawalkam. Chellan's wife Malar (30), the victim, lit a lamp in front of the photograph of a deity before starting household work.

“Malar blew out the matchstick and dropped it on the floor. She did not realise that the stick had fallen over a bundle of fire-crackers purchased for Deepavali,” said an investigation officer.

Malar's sari caught fire and flames spread rapidly. Chellan and the children, who were outside the house, rushed in after hearing Malar scream. Chellan doused the flames and rushed his wife to the Government Kilpauk Medical College hospital, the officer said. Malar, who suffered more than 75 per cent burns, died on Sunday noon, police said. Secretariat Colony police registered a case of unnatural death.

RELATED NEWS

Petlee PeterJune 28, 2012