A 41-year-old woman succumbed to burns after a fire, caused by a leaking gas cylinder, broke out at her home in Adambakkam on Wednesday evening.
According to police, the victim, Sudha, lived with her father Vaidyanathan and her son Eshwar on New Colony First Street. Her husband was out of town on business. On Wednesday evening, the family smelled gas and realised that the cylinder in the kitchen was leaking. They called a local mechanic, Balasubramanian, and even as he was plugging the leak, one of them reportedly ignited a matchstick and it caused a blaze. Sudha, her father, son and the mechanic all sustained severe injuries.
Sudha died on Thursday morning, while the other three at being treated at Government Kilpauk Hospital.