Two men were electrocuted in separate accidents on Sunday night. R. Singaravelan (35), an electrician, was working through the night to complete the electric wiring at a house in Puzhuthivakkam to be in time for the ‘house warming’ (grihapravesam) function on Monday.

He was working at the kitchen, where he came into contact with a live wire. In the impact, he was thrown some distance away into the living room of the house. The incident took place around 10 p.m. He was rushed to a private clinic in Madipakkam and later referred to Tambaram Taluk Government Hospital in Chromepet, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Madipakkam police are investigating.

 At Pallikaranai S. Kumar (36) died instantly after stepping on a high tension live wire. One of the high tension wires transmitting power from a sub-station in Perumbakkam to another in Madipakkam had snapped and fallen down at the intersection of Ma.Po.Si Nagar and Velachery Main Road. Residents and traders informed engineers of the Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation who were on their way to set right the problem.  Residents had also placed tables and chairs at the spot to prevent people from getting close to the wire. At that time, Kumar, riding his motorcycle was about to pass the spot. A group of people, waiting for TANGEDCO engineers to come to the spot, raised an alarm, warning him not to get close to the spot. The incident took place around midnight. However, Kumar got too close to the live wire and came into direct contact with it, killing him instantly.

More In: Chennai