A class VIII student of Panchayat Union Middle School in Vellancheri village near Tirutani was electrocuted on Friday on the school premises.
Residents and parents of the school, located around 80 km from Chennai, on Saturday morning blocked the Tirutani–Nagalampalayam High Road for nearly two hours, demanding the suspension of the school headmistress, K. Selvi.
The police said on Friday, around 3 p.m., N. Dhanasekar (13) was asked to switch on the motor pumpset by school authorities.
As the switch was damaged and wet due to rains on the previous night, the boy was electrocuted and died on the spot.
A team of revenue officials and the police held talks with the residents. Subsequently, based on instructions from the revenue divisional officer (Tirutani), the school department has suspended the headmistress for negligence.