Lorries transporting water to various parts of the city will operate as usual on Saturday as the Metrowater Tanker Lorry Contractors’ Association has called off the strike proposed earlier.
The association had demanded revision of rates by Chennai Metrowater for the operation of tankers that provide street supply as well as water for payment.
According to a press release from Chennai Metrowater, the rates had already been revised and the contractors were informed on June 4. The tankers would have to go to any locality that faces water shortage as per the agreement. The three-year contract for tankers would end in January next year.
The association’s president P.S. Sundaram said the tanker operators called off the strike on Thursday after a meeting with Metrowater authorities. “We were issued an order that provides for a hike in the annual rate. Metrowater officials have also promised to look into other demands,” he said.
Nearly 350 vehicles are operated to meet the drinking needs of the city, including added areas. The number of trips has increased in the past two months as several areas are facing water shortage. Each tanker now operates 10-12 trips daily.