25-year-old hacked to death while celebrating New Year’s
New Year celebrations turned death trap for a 25-year-old man when a group of men hacked him to death in Basin Bridge in north Chennai.
Police sources said that the victim, G. Ranjit (25), a resident of Edapalayam in Basin Bridge, was celebrating in an open ground, which is used by the regional transport office (RTO) for vehicle testing, with friends, in the early hours of Tuesday. A group of five men, who were in their twenties, arrived at the ground in an autorickshaw.
On seeing one of the five men K. Sankar (32), the main accused and a small-time film actor, many of Ranjit’s friends slipped away. Sankar’s group then attacked Ranjit with lethal weapons. Ranjit fell down on the ground with serious head injuries, while the gang fled in the autorickshaw.
After an alarm was raised by few of his friends, Ranjith was rushed to the Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital at Chennai Central where doctors declared him ‘brought dead’. Of the five accused, the police have arrested V. Sait (25), K. Mari (27), Rasathi allies Elamvaruthi (24) and S. Venketasan (23). However, Sankar is still absconding.
“A case of murder under section 302 of IPC has been filed against the accused,” said Basin Bridge police inspector, R. Perundurai Murugan. The police said the group led by Sankar had been taking revenge as, two months ago, Ranjit with a group of his friends tried to murder Sankar over some petty issue. However, Sankar managed to escape with minor injures. A case of attempted murder was filed against Ranjit.
Ranjit had been on bail during the past month. “Sankar was waiting for an opportunity to take revenge against Ranjit, who is a labourer and a rowdy,” said a police officer.