The couple had sustained 75 per cent burns, their son remains critical

A couple, who suffered burn injuries after an LPG cylinder exploded in their house in Madhavaram on Tuesday, succumbed to injuries at Government Kilpauk Medical College Hospital on Wednesday morning.

Doctors said both Radhakrishnan (54), a carpenter, and his wife Saraswathi, 49, died without responding to treatment.

They had sustained over 75 per cent burns in the accident. Their son, Nagarajan, who was also injured, is still in critical condition at the hospital.

The accident occurred around 6 a.m. on Tuesday, when Saraswathi went into the kitchen to make tea, unaware that there had been a gas leak. The moment she lit the stove, the cylinder exploded.

Another victim, 65-year-old S. Rukmani, who sustained severe burns after a cylinder exploded at a house in Sowcarpet on April 10, also died on Wednesday at the hospital.

More In: Chennai | News