At least 10 nursing students of the Government Kilpauk Medical College were admitted to the hospital on Monday, following complaints of food poisoning.

The students had reported, complaining of vomiting, giddiness, diarrhoea and uneasiness on Sunday after eating food in the hostel.

Following continued sickness, the students were hospitalised.

The students belong to the nursing hostel, which is housed in the hospital premises. Hospital authorities said that the third-year women students had eaten the food cooked in the hostel mess. “The students have their own mess. We suspect food poisoning to be the cause. I have asked the sanitary inspector and the tutor to inspect the mess,” said P. Ramakrishnan, dean of the medical college, to which the nurses’ hostel is attached.

According to him, except for one student, the rest of them had recovered and were discharged.

The students are in the midst of taking examinations, and one of them could not sit for the tests on Monday.

More In: Chennai | Health | Sci-Tech