Former Chennai Police Commissioner K. Radhakrishnan, presently Additional Director-General of Police, Law and Order, on Monday said that it was a small group of unruly advocates who lowered the High Court's esteem by conducting themselves in an unlawful manner on February 19 last year. He prayed the High Court issue contempt notice to the erring advocates.
In his affidavit before a Division Bench, comprising Justices F.M. Ibrahim Kalifulla and R. Banumathi, in contempt proceedings against him in connection with the police-lawyers clash on February 19 last year, Mr. Radhakrishnan said lawyers burnt down the High Court police station. Because of their conspiracy, the courts were paralysed. Hence, in the interest of justice, contempt notice should be issued to lawyers.
In good faith
The police entered the High Court premises only to perform their duty and had to react in good faith to protect the High Court campus and maintain law and order.
“The Police Department and I only acted in good faith and never had the intention or motive to show disrespect to this honourable court or interfere with the administration of justice.”
He did not do any act that would scandalise or lower the court's authority.
The CBI had investigated the matter and disclosed a clear conspiracy that was hatched by a group of advocates to create problems within the High Court premises, the former Police Commissioner said.
He said all action taken by him was in accordance with law.
The police did their level best to cooperate with advocates for ensuring their smooth surrender in the case relating to the attack on Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy inside a court hall on February 17 last year.
Mr. Radhakrishnan urged the court to accept his explanation and exonerate him of all charges. In the event, the court were to hold him guilty of any charge, his apology may be accepted.
The case has been posted for April 5.