Decision taken at meeting held in presence of labour commissioner

The strike at the Hyundai Motor India Limited factory in Irungattukottai came to an end on Friday. The company revoked the suspension, pending enquiry proceedings, of 20 striking workers.

The workers were part of the CITU-affiliated Hyundai Motor India Employees Union (HMIEU) whose members had initiated the strike on October 30. Five of the 20 workers though will face a domestic enquiry, according to a press release.

The decision was taken at a tripartite meeting held in the presence of labour commissioner, B. Chandra Mohan. The union agreed to the terms of the wage settlement between Hyundai management and the management-recognised United Union of Hyundai Employees.

The company asked the workers to withdraw the disruption of work unconditionally, not to indulge in any work-disruption activities in future and settle all issues through discussions.

The principle of no-work-no-pay would apply to all those who had abstained from work during the said period, it added.

The workers had struck work demanding the reinstatement of 27 workers who had been dismissed four years ago, the recognition of HMIEU and re-negotiation of the wage settlement.

Kancheepuram CITU district secretary, E. Muthukumar, said though HMIEU will accept the wage settlement, members will not individually sign the agreement as insisted by the management.

He also said the final decision of the domestic enquiry should be announced by the Joint Commissioner (Labour). The present decision was taken in order to accede to the request made by the labour department to ease labour unrest in the manufacturing unit, he added.