Five people were injured when a gas leak from a cylinder resulted in a fire in Chromepet on Friday.

The victims include a woman and a 10-year-old boy. However, authorities said, all the injured are out of danger.

Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue Services Department personnel said they received a call around 5.30 p.m. about a fire at a house in Kothandam Nagar. As there had also been calls to the police control room about a few people injured, a fire tender and a government ambulance rushed to the spot. But as the by-lanes leading to the house were very narrow, neither vehicle was able to get close to the house.

Chromepet police, who are investigating the incident, said a local gas agency had delivered the domestic LPG cylinder to the house of Manimaran, and his wife Pushpavathi, a couple of days ago. When the family suspected a leak, they informed the agency, which delivered a replacement cylinder on Friday afternoon.

As the second cylinder too developed a leak, the family lodged a complaint with the agency again. They also engaged the services of a local mechanic Kannan, who while testing the cylinder for leakages, lit a matchstick. A fire broke out and the house suffered extensive damage.

Manimaran and his wife Pushpavathi, the mechanic Kannan, a neighbour, Das and Ashik, Das’s 10-year-old son, sustained injuries. They were rushed to the Tambaram Taluk Government Hospital. While the couple was discharged after first aid, Kannan, Das and Ashik were referred to the the Government Kilpauk Hospital.

RELATED NEWS

When emergency system failsSeptember 26, 2012

When Kodungaiyur woke up to LPG blast September 26, 2012

More In: Chennai