A fire broke out in the terrace of a private hospital in Chromepet on Thursday.

No one was injured, but discarded goods kept in a room on the terrace were destroyed.

The Chromepet police said the fire broke out around 2 p.m. in the room on the terrace of the five-storeyed building housing Sree Balaji Medical College Hospital on CLC Works Road, Chromepet. Two fire tenders reached the spot and managed to put out the fire.

Several patients undergoing treatment at the private hospital were evacuated immediately. They were taken back to their respective wards later after the fire was put out and firemen had established there was no danger of the fire spreading to the rest of the building.

As news of the fire spread, relatives of the patients undergoing treatment rushed to the hospital. They were assured by members of the hospital staff that everything was under control.

Firemen at Tambaram said the exact cause of the fire was being investigated. However, they suspect an electrical short circuit due to faulty wiring could have caused the fire. An audit of fire preparedness and safety measures would be conducted in the hospital, they said.

More In: Chennai | News