Employee was working with white petrol, when a few drops fell on a machine and sparked the fire
Two persons sustained burn injuries after a fire broke out a watch showroon-cum-service centre on the Valluvarkottam High Road in Nungambakkam on Saturday.
The police said, around 6.10 p.m. on Saturday, the fire broke out in the service section located in the rear of the Titan showroom.
Bilal (20), a staff member, was servicing a watch with white petrol when a few drops fell on a soldering machine lying nearby and the fire broke out.
Panicked, Bilal dropped the rest of the fuel and the fire spread.
Bilal and another member of the staff, Charles (27) sustained burn injuries and were admitted at a nearby private hospital. Immediately, 20 fire fighters from Teynampet, Koyambedu, Triplicane and Egmore rushed to the spot but had to struggle for nearly an hour to enter the service section as it has a small entrance.
Fire fighters then broke a wall and doused the fire and prevented it from spreading to neighbouring plots, including a petrol bunk.
“Traffic was not affected as the fire happened in a large complex and was contained. However,There was no fire-safety equipment in the eight-storey-high complex as well as in the outlet,” said inspector (law and order) of Nungambakkam police, R. Shibu Kumar.
A case of accidental fire was registered by the Nungambakkam police.