A suspected leak in the rubber tube connecting an LPG cylinder with a gas stove led to a major fire inside a house in Thangavel Pillai Thottam, Korukkupet, on Tuesday morning.

Four residents suffered severe burns. Another resident escaped as he was in the bathroom during the blaze.

Kamalakannan (48), a timber merchant, his wife Dhamayanthi (44), and their children Chandrasekar (23), Udayakumar (20) and Rajalakshmi (17), lived in the first-floor apartment on 3 Street, Thangavel Pillai Thottam.

“The accident took place around 6.30 a.m. when Dhamayanthi woke up to boil milk. Despite realising there was a strong smell of LPG in the house, she switched on the light, igniting a major fire. Dhamayanthi suffered burns. Kamalakkannan and their two sons who were asleep also suffered burns,” said an investigating officer.

Chandrasekar was in the bathroom and escaped unhurt. The four were rushed to Government Kilpauk Hospital and the condition of the couple is critical.

More In: Chennai | Crime