27-year-old was electrocuted at home; kin say they spent Rs. 4.5 lakh on his treatment
A 27-year-old man who was electrocuted at home ten days ago succumbed to injuries in a private hospital on Saturday.
His family, however, alleged foul play and said the man had passed away a couple of days ago but the hospital continued to treat him. The family was also not allowed to meet him.
The accident happened on July 11 when Gunaseelan, with two other workers, was helping his house owner transport a metal pipe from the ground to the first floor of his house. The pipe came in contact with a high tension wire and Gunaseelan fell unconscious.
He was rushed to the Government Kilpauk Hospital (KMC) along with the two workers. While the workers were treated as outpatients, Gunaseelan was admitted to the hospital.
On July 12, his family shifted him to Sooriya Hospital in Vadapalani. According to his family members, Gunaseelan was conscious on July 13, but doctors said he was in a serious condition and did not allow them to meet him.
A friend of the family said around Rs. 4.5 lakh was spent on Gunaseelan’s treatment at the private hospital.
“Last night, doctors told the family it was necessary to amputate his leg to save his life. This morning, the hospital declared him dead at 7.30 a.m. We suspect Gunaseelan died two days ago but the hospital refused to declare his death,” said S. Vellachamy, ex-councillor of Nerkundram and CPI (M) south Madras secretariat member.
Gunaseelan’s mother registered a complaint with the Koyambedu police. Gunaseelan, who worked in an IT company in Velachery, was the sole breadwinner in his family.
Plastic surgeon V. Jayaraman who treated Gunaseelan said he was put on ventilator as the electric shock had affected the nerves in his heart.
“Soon after he was admitted, he went into cardiac arrest. We revived him and put him on ventilator support so his systemic organs could be saved from working under duress. He was almost coming around but suffered another cardiac arrest and died,” Dr. Jayaraman said, adding Gunaseelan could not talk as he was fully sedated.
The surgeon said Gunaseelan had developed gangrene in his hands and legs as a result of the injuries. The anterior part of his left forearm suffered necrosis, he said.