Cities » Chennai

Updated: July 21, 2013 10:02 IST

Family accuses private hospital of treating ‘dead’ man for days

  • R. Sujatha
Comment (6)   ·   print   ·   T  T  
Special Arrangement

27-year-old was electrocuted at home; kin say they spent Rs. 4.5 lakh on his treatment

A 27-year-old man who was electrocuted at home ten days ago succumbed to injuries in a private hospital on Saturday.

His family, however, alleged foul play and said the man had passed away a couple of days ago but the hospital continued to treat him. The family was also not allowed to meet him.

The accident happened on July 11 when Gunaseelan, with two other workers, was helping his house owner transport a metal pipe from the ground to the first floor of his house. The pipe came in contact with a high tension wire and Gunaseelan fell unconscious.

He was rushed to the Government Kilpauk Hospital (KMC) along with the two workers. While the workers were treated as outpatients, Gunaseelan was admitted to the hospital.

On July 12, his family shifted him to Sooriya Hospital in Vadapalani. According to his family members, Gunaseelan was conscious on July 13, but doctors said he was in a serious condition and did not allow them to meet him.

A friend of the family said around Rs. 4.5 lakh was spent on Gunaseelan’s treatment at the private hospital.

“Last night, doctors told the family it was necessary to amputate his leg to save his life. This morning, the hospital declared him dead at 7.30 a.m. We suspect Gunaseelan died two days ago but the hospital refused to declare his death,” said S. Vellachamy, ex-councillor of Nerkundram and CPI (M) south Madras secretariat member.

Gunaseelan’s mother registered a complaint with the Koyambedu police. Gunaseelan, who worked in an IT company in Velachery, was the sole breadwinner in his family.

Plastic surgeon V. Jayaraman who treated Gunaseelan said he was put on ventilator as the electric shock had affected the nerves in his heart.

“Soon after he was admitted, he went into cardiac arrest. We revived him and put him on ventilator support so his systemic organs could be saved from working under duress. He was almost coming around but suffered another cardiac arrest and died,” Dr. Jayaraman said, adding Gunaseelan could not talk as he was fully sedated.

The surgeon said Gunaseelan had developed gangrene in his hands and legs as a result of the injuries. The anterior part of his left forearm suffered necrosis, he said.

More In: Chennai | News

This type of incidents we saw in cinema(Ramana). Now it happens in

from:  Tediyur Sankaran
Posted on: Jul 22, 2013 at 10:10 IST

why not change headline to like this? Family accuses Sooriya hospital of
treating ‘dead’ man for days. is the editor afraid to give such
headline? let all know about this hospital. Hindu should not bend to
fear from this hospital.

from:  Naresh
Posted on: Jul 21, 2013 at 15:12 IST

what is medical board doing? why not suspend hospital
registration or impose heavy penalty! God can only save this country!!!

from:  Naresh
Posted on: Jul 21, 2013 at 15:04 IST

Will the Hindu newspaper publish the name of Hospital as well, so that people come to know about its evil antecedents? Some other news services have already named the Sooriya hospital as the culprit already. Hindu is supposed to be neutral and expose such elements which are a disease to our community.

Not long ago, a leading five star hotel had sub standard ventilation system due to which a foreign guest had a communicable disease. But Hindu failed to name the hotel's name. Why this attitude? It leads to suspicions that Hindu reporting has been compromised.We expect a standard from Hindu which has very standards for many decades.

from:  Syed
Posted on: Jul 21, 2013 at 15:03 IST

The people can make this an issue after an autopsy.

from:  Vaidyanathan
Posted on: Jul 21, 2013 at 10:45 IST

Is a plastic surgeon qualified enough to diagnose a trauma patient ? When are we going to
begin questioning the basics and leave behind the "doctors know all" myth ?

Shastri Nagar, Chennai

from:  Subramaniam
Posted on: Jul 21, 2013 at 09:22 IST
Show all comments
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Power Shutdown

Power supply will be suspended in the following areas on May 08, 2015 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. »



Recent Article in Chennai

Jubilant students celebrate after announcement of class 10 CBSE results. Photo: V. Sreenivasa Murthy.

Chennai region secures 99.03% passes in class ten CBSE results

Pass percentage of the Chennai region (including Karnataka) has secured the second highest pass percentage. »