30-year-old woman and 8-year-old girl died in separate incidents

Tension prevailed in and around Alamaram Street, Tiruttani, after Dimple (30) — who was admitted in a private hospital for a gynaecological procedure — died on Saturday night. Family members of the victim claimed medical negligence and protested against hospital authorities by blocking the road.

A police official in Tiruvallur district said Dimple, the wife of Rajesh, who runs a jewellery shop, was admitted to B.R. Hospital for the procedure on Saturday morning. During the operation, she developed medical complications and was rushed to a private hospital in Porur, where she was declared as brought dead.

Claiming that Dimple died of medical negligence, family members of Mr. Rajesh protested, seeking action against the hospital authorities. Tiruvallur Collector and the Superintendent of Police rushed to the spot. Based on a complaint from Mr. Rajesh, the Collector has recommended that the post-mortem be carried out by a team of experts in Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital, where the body was being taken. A police official said that the victim had heart problems.

In a similar incident in the city, a posse of police personnel was posted at a private hospital in Shenoy Nagar in the city, to prevent any untoward incidents after the death of an eight-year-old girl on Sunday.

Narrating the turn of events, a doctor at Hande Hospital said the child Sanjana, who is a resident of Manja Koil Street, Aminjikarai, was suffering from high fever and admitted at a private clinic in the morning.

While the medical specialist was attending to the child, the child suddenly developed fits and the doctor rushed the child in an autorickshaw to the nearby Hande Hospital. Hospital authorities, despite giving first aid, could not save the child.

On hearing of the girl’s death, the family members tried to manhandle the doctor of the clinic, thereby creating tension on the hospital premises. The hospital authorities immediately alerted the Aminjikarai Police, who rushed to the hospital, and took the body to the Government Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital for post-mortem. Aminjikarai Police are investigating.

More In: Chennai | Society