Repeat offenders can face action from institutions, after notice to parents
Students used to footboard travel on buses, beware. You may face removal from your institutions.
The first bench of the Madras High Court, comprising Chief Justice M.Y. Eqbal and Justice T.S. Sivagnanam, passed further orders on Wednesday on the suo motu public interest petition relating to Monday’s Kandanchavadi tragedy.
It said, “If any student is found travelling on the footboard, the matter may be reported not only to the parents of the student, but also to the principal of the school/college/educational institution concerned. If he repeats the same thing, the school may take action for removal of such students, after notice to the parent.”
Four students travelling on the footboard of an MTC bus were crushed to death after they were caught between the bus and a lorry. Taking note of the tragedy, the High Court had directed advocate general A. Navaneethakrishnan to seek instructions from the government regarding safety measures it proposed to take to prevent such tragedies.
When the matter came up, Karuna Sagar, additional commissioner of police, traffic, Chennai, filed a detailed affidavit on the safety measures that had been taken so far, which included stringent action against footboard travellers.
He also said whenever footboard travel was observed, the buses concerned were stopped and such travellers made to alight. Awareness programmes too were being conducted, he said.
The principal secretary, transport, said it has been proposed to augment ‘students’ special’ buses. Also, a committee comprising MTC officials, the traffic police and student representatives will be formed to provide counselling to students.
The High Court bench directed the additional commissioner of police, traffic, Chennai, to implement the suggestions.