Eight huts were gutted in MKB Nagar in Vyasarpadi on Friday morning.

No one was injured in the accident. The police said an electrical short circuit might have caused the fire on Eighth Street in Pudhu Nagar. According to the police, around 4.30 a.m., sparks from an electrical line attached to a TNEB pole fell on one of the huts, resulting in the fire that woke up some of the occupants.

One of them, Imran (60), rushed outside and alerted his neighbours. Meanwhile, a LPG cylinder in the hut burst and the fire spread.

The police and fire personnel were immediately informed. A team of fire fighters from Vyasarpadi, Sathya Murthy Nagar and Korupettai fire stations rushed to the spot and after an hour, put out the fire. Later in the day, ward councillor, S. Baskaran, distributed food to affected families.

Recently, six huts were gutted on the 51st block in Satyamurthy Nagar in MKB Nagar.

More In: Chennai | News