A couple were critically injured on Monday evening when fire cracker powder stored in their house in West Mambalam caught fire. According to police and fire service personnel, the couple — ‘Bomb' Ravi and his wife Rathna — sustained serious burns and were admitted to the Government Kilpauk Hospital. Doctors said that their condition is serious.

A child playing near the house was also injured and he was treated as an outpatient at the hospital.

Residents of Gandhi Street, West Mambalam, where the incident occurred, said they heard a loud explosion and suddenly portions of the building caved in. The couple were living in a tiny portion in the building, the front of which included two petty shops. On Monday, Rathna, was apparently cooking when a spark from the stove caused the fire, firemen said.

Director, Fire and Rescue Services R. Natraj said the explosion occurred in an old building bringing the roof down. The couple suffered about 90 per cent burns and their condition was critical. “They were making some kind of crackers used for special effects in movies. It appears that a minor friction triggered the explosion,'' Mr. Natraj said.

Fire officers said the ground plus one structure housed dozens of small portions. About 15 feet of the building had caved in, they said.

Keywords: Bomb Ravi

More In: Chennai