In a few months, the Chennai Metropolitan Area (CMA) is expected to be dotted with 10 new mini-stadiums.

The Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA), prime mover behind this initiative, will work closely with residents of respective areas while designing the mini-stadiums.

By submitting a list of open space reserve (OSR) lands, each measuring over an acre, to the CMDA, the Chennai Corporation and the local bodies within the CMA have set the project in motion.

For now, the Corporation has identified 17 OSR lands, including a piece of land measuring 100 m x 50 m near Green Park Hotel in Vadapalani, for the purpose. The CMDA is encouraging the Corporation and local bodies to identify more OSR lands for the project. Residents’ associations have been asked to inform their respective local bodies of such lands.

A team of officials visited the localities, including the OSR lands, identified so far. According to a CMDA official, at least 10 mini-stadiums will be developed this year on a pilot basis. He said that while the CMDA would provide 90 per cent of the funding, the Corporation or the respective local body would execute the project and cover the remaining 10 per cent. The Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu will offer technical assistance.

Residents’ associations are expected to play a key role in shaping a Local Arrangement Plan for the mini-stadiums, and decide the major features of the stadium.