A three-year-old girl died after she consumed her grandmother’s snuff powder, in Mint Street on Wednesday.

Police said that on Tuesday the child, A. Latha, was brought by her parents to stay with her grandmother, S. Mathi (52), at her home on Mint Street. Her parents were planning to attend a function in the area.

The victim’s mother, Rani (25), left Latha on the floor of the house with a toy to play with, and was occupied with household chores. The child’s father, S. Annamalai (28), a wage labourer, was chatting with his relatives outside the house.

While playing, Latha apparently found a small snuff powder box, and as the box was open, she ate all the snuff powder in it.

A little while later, Rani found the child unconscious. The family rushed her to Government Stanley Hospital, where, despite six hours of treatment, the child succumbed.

A case has been filed.

More In: Chennai | News