Four persons, including two children, were killed in a fire accident caused by an LPG cylinder leak at a house in Maraimalai Nagar, in the city’s outskirts, on Saturday night.
Venkatesan (45), his wife Thiripurasundari (40), their seven-year-old daughter Ishwarya and their 11-year-old neighbour Durga died, while two other children are battling for their lives at Kilpauk Medical College Hospital (KMCH).
The family had just returned home after a trip to Panruti in Cuddalore district. The fire broke out when Venkatesan switched on a light after returning home, unaware there was heavy LPG leakage.
The spark from the switch triggered the fire. The intensity of the fire was so severe the victims suffered acute burn injuries instantly, said the Maraimalai Nagar police.
Two other children, Malavika (6) and Balasubramanian (9), their neighbours and close friends of Durga’s, rushed to the house to help their friend and were also injured.
The six of them were rushed to KMCH. Malavika and Balasubramanian are in critical condition.
The police said Venkatesan ran a restaurant and was stocking up LPG cylinders at home.
Neighbours made desperate attempts to rescue the family but in vain, the police said.