A second year college student was electrocuted at Irumbuliyur, Tambaram on Tuesday last. A student of Madras Christian College, G. Ranjith, was a resident of Roja Thottam and had gone to his grandparents’ house in neighbouring Vijayarangan Street. His grandfather had informed him that the wet grinder was not working and asked him to fix it up at a shop nearby. Ranjith, who switched on the grinder, was struck by a massive supply of electricity, reportedly due to a leak caused by the faulty switch or plug. He was rushed to a private hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. A case has been registered at Selaiyur police station.

More In: Downtown | Chennai