A team of researchers from Sastra University performed tests on Rahul, the three-month-old who is believed to have spontaneously ignited four times so far. The researchers used an indigenously developed machine to examine the release of ethanol and methane gases. “Initially, the team led by John Bosco found traces of these gases but then we realised it was probably due to the medicines we had applied on the baby for the burns. When we wiped away the medicines, no such gases were noticed in the tests,” said
R. Narayana Babu, head of paediatrics, Government Kilpauk Medical College Hospital, where the baby is admitted. The results of chromosomal tests too showed no abnormality. Meanwhile, the parents are being given psychiatric support. Dr. Babu said the results of more tests were expected by Saturday. “We may then have a fair idea of the baby’s condition,” he said.